Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Goals, Pretty Dresses, and Striving For My Best


I didn't believe it, but I guess it's true what they say...Marriage makes you fat!!!
Ok, well, not exactly...but let's just say that Derek and I are not on top of our game these days!

For months working our way up to the wedding, we were both diligent about working out and preparing for the big day. We were so busy with all the planning that at times, I didn't eat, and just seemed to lose a little bit of weight without trying!

Well, fast forward to 10 months later, after spending all of our time inside, unpacking boxes, and laying on the couch, still recovering from all the busyness...here we are, not quite as fit!

Derek suggested that we find pictures of ourselves when we were at our best, and frame them somewhere where we can be reminded and motivated to get back in the best shape of our lives!

Sometimes a physical, "in your face" reminder is needed to keep us on point. There are so many distractions through each day and other "stuff" fighting for our attention.
I'm hoping this blog will be some sort of accountability for me to diligently and purposefully take control of my health, as I blog about the journey and ups and downs of Diabetes.

A few months ago, after being inspired by a friend at work who shared with us co-workers, what God was doing in her life, teaching her, etc. I wrote up a sort of Mission/Purpose Statement for my life. It helps to come back to this every morning before starting my day:

"My life is not my own...I have been bought with a price, so I will
shine and glorify God with my body, mind, emotions, job, health, habits, hobbies, dreams, and life.

He has allowed me to have Diabetes. I don't know why...but that
doesn't matter. I will seek to use that for good, striving to glorify Him with my health. I will be careful about what I put into my body- what I eat, think, listen to, look at, touch, etc.

My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. I will do all within my power to control this disease that fights against my body. I will do this for God, Derek, my family, my future children, my friends, and myself. I will continue to seek out a better life, a life of wholeness and optimal health. I will not give up the fight, but will do all of this, knowing that I can rely on the Lord for my strength!

I will allow God to break me, correct me, teach me, and guide me. I will be faithful, available, and teachable in all things, little and big. I will serve Him in every moment, as if it were my last.

I will take all of my fears and worries to the Lord in prayer. I will pray for miracles, knowing that nothing is impossible with God.

I will work each day to become a better wife, daughter, sister, cousin, niece, grand-daughter, employee, and friend. I will strive to be hospitable to everyone; humble, honest, and loving.

I will do everything without complaining or arguing, so that I may become blameless and pure, without fault in this crooked and depraved generation, as I hold out the Word of Life, in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."
*1 Corinthians 16:14-20 *Philippians 2:14-16

I'm not perfect, but it helps to have that written out as something to strive for. I guess carrying around a picture of me on my wedding day... tanner and thinner, hair done, makeup applied, and wearing a princess dress wouldn't hurt with the motivation to getting fit either- huh?!?!?

...or maybe I can just prance around the apartment in my dress once a week- because who doesn't want to feel like a princess?!?!

Here's to goals, pretty dresses, and striving for my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment