Thursday, January 27, 2011

AS IF HAVING DIABETES WASN'T WEIRD ENOUGH...

There's a lot to deal with when having Diabetes.
It's there 24/7 and you can never just turn it off.
My mind is always thinking of the next step, next blood sugar, next meal, amount of carbs, how much insulin to give, how much is already on board, what will my activity level look like today...

To the average on-looker, Diabetes may not make sense, may seem scary, weird even.

So it's situations like this that make me throw my hands up in the air and scream: "As is Diabetes wasn't weird enough..."

------------------------------------------------------------------

My breakfast consisted of a small package of peanut butter crackers and a shot of Kefir. I didn't plan ahead, so I just grabbed whatever I could find in the pantry.

source

source
As I got closer to work, I could feel my stomach rumbling and attacking my insides. I debated about stopping for coffee or just waiting and grabbing my favorite tea latte from the cafe at work.

As I pulled into the parking garage it dawned on me that I could get an entire breakfast at the cafeteria for the same price as a Starbucks latte.

So, for $3.85 I picked up a deluxe omelet (with onions, tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, and cheese), 2 turkey sausage patties, a piece of toast with blackberry jam, and a diet coke.



















I settled into my desk to start my day.
Taking a big cheesy bite of omelet with ketchup... I began to choke.
The bite was just too big and all of a sudden I found myself drowning in cheese as the room spun.

Trying not to make a big scene I did what I could to swallow it all, with the assistance of some diet coke.
It didn't go as planned, causing it all to go in the wrong direction.
My breakfast didn't come out, rather, it went back and then up.
I could feel the ketchup burning in my nostrils and my face felt like it was on fire.

source




















My eyes started tearing up but I remained calm.
For the next 30 minutes,
I proceeded to blow ketchup and bits of egg out of my nose.

The weird feeling in my throat just wouldn't go away and I finally mustered up the courage to do a half snort/half clearing of my throat.
Down came the final chunks of my omelet...up my nose...down my throat...and back into my stomach where it belonged.

I often think I should be exempt from getting "real people sick" like with a cold or the flu.
I spend 365 days a year dealing with managing Diabetes, the least I ask for is to not have to deal with any other kind of health issue.

And today, after spending a half hour trying to rid my nasal cavities of my breakfast I thought....could I be exempt from anything weird like this happening again...
Diabetes is weird enough.

Next time I'll opt for the tea latte.

source


7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'll be able to eat breakfast now after reading this... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take small bites, followed up with some liquid...and you won't have to worry about blowing breakfast out of your nose!!!
    We all miss you guys here at MBI. Hope everything is going well in Dallas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, good advice, thanks!
    Miss you guys, too..Things are going pretty well. We're in our third semester now. Greek, Hebrew, Bible Exposition, and Historical and Systematic Theology this semester. I'm loving it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that sounds painful!!!

    glad to see a new post
    and glad to see YOU GUYS on sunday!!! hooray!!! :)

    g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace,
    It was painful and gross :(
    We can't wait to see you guys and your new home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, oh my gosh, i'm sorry to laugh as that sounds so awful! what an awkward situation, i can totally see that happening to me..

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva,
    Don't worry...my family has been laughing about it since it happened! You live and you learn :)
    Thanks for commenting. I LOVE your blog! I'll definitely continue reading.
    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete