Wednesday, January 25, 2012

DON'T JUDGE THIS HIGH MAINTENANCE STARBUCKS DRINKER

Throughout college and for a year after I graduated, I nannied and babysat for several families. It was there in the North Shore that I had my first tofu-dog, met families that ONLY shopped at Whole Foods, and spent lots of time filling sippy cups with half organic juice and half water.



{source}

In my neighborhood we grew up on PB&J, Mac-n-Cheese & hot dogs, and casseroles that involved Ritz Crackers.
Being Italian, pasta was a staple in our diets.
Sundays were spent with extended family over a spaghetti dinner.
Talk about carb-overload...you haven't lived until you've tried a Mostaccioli sandwich!
{source}
I played a lot of sports growing up and was always active, however, it's just been in the past few years that I've become really health conscience as far as what I eat.

Over the past two years, my Google Reader has been overflowing with healthy living/eating blogs, filling my head with a lot of information about nutrition.

I've found myself doing things that I used to think were only for YUPPIES:

{DRINKING GREEN SMOOTHIES}

ENJOYING YOGA

{source}

{source}
{source}
{source}


{WATCHING DOCUMENTARIES}


{GETTING EXCITED ABOUT RECYCLING}


{SUBSCRIBING TO HEALTHY MAGAZINES}


{STARTING OFF THE DAY W/ LEMON GINGER TEA}


{INVESTIGATING DIFFERENT DIETS}


My life looks a bit different today than it did 10 years ago.
Have I become a YUPPIE?!?
GONE GRANOLA?!?


{source}

...And have I recently stepped over the line into a completely new territory when ordering my drink at Starbucks?!?!
{source}

I should've just ordered an herbal tea...but this was a moment to celebrate.
I was meeting a friend who had exciting news...it was a time to drink well.
A fancy shmancy drink was in order!

{source}

Please don't judge me for what I'm about to confess.
I ordered a:
short, decaf, upside down, skinny caramel soy macchiato, without the caramel drizzle and with an added shot of sugar free caramel syrup.


Why did I do it?!
She told me all the cool kids are drinking upside down caramel macchiatos!
...but I'm on a detox/cleanse, so I had to get decaf
(plus like an old lady, caffeine makes me jittery).
Hello Diabetes! So it had to be SKINNY (sugar-free/low-fat)...but the ironic thing is, the added caramel drizzle (even in a skinny order) is filled with tons of sugar, so I got rid of the drizzle.
The barista informed me that I'd basically be drinking a sugar free vanilla latte...so I asked him to add a shot of SF caramel.
And the Soy? Yup, no dairy while on the detox/cleanse.
Why a short? I just wanted a little bit to drink..and it's cheaper than a tall!


I thanked the man taking my order, embarrassingly giggled, and asked if that was the most high-maintenance drink that's been ordered all day.
He laughed and responded, "Not even close"!!!
 So next time you hear someone order a complicated drink, don't judge!
They may just have a sensitivity to caffeine, be lactose intolerant, have Diabetes...or just keeping a close watch on what they put into their body.

They may not even be from Lincoln Park, the North Shore, or the suburbs...perhaps they're from Portage Park!


I'm really not trying to be a yuppie or to fit into the latest trend.
It's really all for the HEALTH of it!
(And I will probably just order the herbal tea next time).


No comments:

Post a Comment